On 24/Jan David Newton gave a talk to the club about his approach to landscape photography. There was a great selection of images and many tips for the members to take in, a few points are listed below.
- Landscape images don’t have to be landscape format, vertical landscapes are equally important. If shooting for magazines then the front cover almost always needs a great vertical image which typically is the best paid placement, inside they might need landscape images to run across a double page spread (DPS)
- Select a tripod that has twice the weight carrying capacity as your camera and heaviest lens
- Use a remote release / cable release to reduce camera shake for long exposures
- Use graduated neutral density (ND) filters to hold back the brighter elements in the frame then you can get the picture in camera and not spend ages in photoshop.
- A polariser filter is essential kit to have, and this is one filter that is impossible to effectively replicate in photoshop
You can find out more about David on his website here: www.photopositive.co.uk