This Winner on the Night is the second of the season. Our members were given the opportunity to put in two PDIs or two prints or one of each. We had fifty-one PDIs and fifteen prints entered, plus a good turnout with 43 members present on the night.
Our Judge for the evening Lloyd Moore began with the PDIs. As usual we had a wide range of subjects including several images taken around the United Kingdom. ‘A beach at Westwood Ho’ which showed a long shot of the beach with Pebbles, Groynes, and waves lapping the shore. ‘Glasgow Lights’ showed lovely reflections of the shops and lights along the quay in the water, and we were shown a Bothy which Lloyd described as having rustic charm and a Chocolate Box picture.
Armistice day was featured in two images, Autumn colours featured in several images, and we had some wildlife entries showing two Squirrels, a Lion looking over her cubs and a hilarious picture of a Camel in the back of a car called “A Spacious Boot the Salesman Said.”
Lloyd worked steadily through the images giving an interesting and fair critique of each one. One of his comments was that a few images were representational and needed something more creative added to lift the image. He also commented on the lack of dynamic range with some mono Images. Lloyd was positive about every image and his delivery was kind, informative and concise.
Lloyd held back fourteen images which he whittled down to seven before awarding places and commendations.
- Sun Trap, David Jones – Winner on the Night
- A Spacious Boot the Salesman Said.”, Stuart Craig – Second
- Just Hanging around, Jan Dell – Third
- Coming into Land, Tami Nunley – Highly commended
- Eye for Detail, Tony Cashen – Highly Commended
- Incomplete Set, Barry Coxon – Commended
- Just a lot of Hot Air, Patrick McCarthy – Commended
After the break Lloyd went on to judge the Prints.
There was a great variety of subjects including, a rutting deer and a still life of a kiwi fruit, an ICM image of Bluebells, Waterside Reflections, Yellow Flowers, A Model in a Cornfield, a Sax player, and Racing Cars.
Lloyd held back seven images and they were as follows:
- Poise, Stuart Craig – Winner on the Night
- A Storm is Coming, Brian Worley – Second
- Norfolk Broads, Barry Coxon – Third
- Kiwi Explosion, Amanda Hawes – Highly Commended
- Waterside Reflections, Sherron Razey – Highly Commended
- Season for Red Deer Rutting, Amanda Hawes – Commended
- Three Cars one Corner, Brian Worley – Commended
A special mention for the winners David Jones – PDI and Stuart Craig – Print. We congratulate all those who got a Commended or Highly Commended, placed Second and Third. Well Done to Barry Coxon, Amanda Hawes, Brian Worley and Stuart Craig who had two images that received awards.
Thank you to all members who entered.
Top images from the competition
Next week: You Be the Judge with Kathy and Julia.