Following on from the success of the 2012 Front cover competition we have decided to run it again in the 2012/13 season.
The idea behind the Front Cover competition
Imagine that there was a club magazine published and you were tasked to shoot the front cover photo. This is exactly what this competition is. Except we don’t have a club magazine. However we have created a fictitious cover design to force you to consider the design elements of a cover when you take and prepare your images. Many photographers tend to shoot more landscape orientation images, but professionals know the cover image pays better than most other pages and it’s vertical or portrait orientation.
Rules & details
This is a projected digital competition with a winner on the night, it is not part of the ImageZ Challenge series. The competition is on 5th February 2013, and you need to send in entries for this on or before midnight on Saturday the 2nd of February. We have to be tight with the deadline as each image will be automatically processed with an action to apply the magazine cover overlay. Entrants should not apply the overlay themselves, we just need the images.
Specific details to follow when preparing your images
- The aim is to produce an image to be used as a magazine front cover. As a magazine the front cover has some fixed elements, the title, the issue date and a footer that will be applied over the top of your image
- Images must be portrait orientation and exactly 742 pixels wide by 1050 pixels tall. 742 x 1050 pixels is the aspect ratio of an A4 page scaled to fit the clubs projector
- Please do not add a keyline or pin frame around the outside of your images.
- The title of the magazine fits over the top 160 pixels of your image, the February 2013 date is slightly below the 160 pixel line. Take care with light skies since this can obscure the February 2013 date that sits under the title in quite light coloured text.
- The story line “PHOTOGRAPHER WINS COMPETITION” is below an imaginary line at 970 pixels down the page
- You can submit a maximum of three entries, please use the titles COVER_1-your witty title_your name.jpg and COVER_2-your witty title_your name.jpg and COVER_3-your witty title_your name.jpg. In the event of too many images to judge reasonably in the time available then we will have to cut your third entry from the competition so numbering is vitally important on this.
- Your entries must be sent to the address above before midnight on 2nd February 2013 – so we can go to press 🙂
- If you want to try and see how your images look with the overlay that will be used, then it’s available to download as a PNG file – click here to download the overlay
- You do not need to add the text or make the cover yourself also don’t add text on your pictures. The poorly trained monkeys/photoshop artists will automatically add the heading, date and lead story over your pictures – they better had or we will take away their bananas!
If you need to be inspired or see what this is all about here’s a link to last years winning entries when this competition was a round of the old mini-challenge series.
Entries should be sent in using the wetransfer system like we do for other projected competitions, please click the picture below for all the details.