Tuesday evening was our first Winner on the Night competition of the season, and we were pleased to have fifty-six entries. The range of work was amazing and featured, Wildlife, Street, Landscape, Portrait, Abstract, Architecture and Nature.
Our judge for the evening was Micki Aston and she delivered her critique with kind positive words, and humour appraising each image thoroughly and giving all members ways to improve our images. Her experience and knowledge were vast and shared with generosity.
Here are a few standard things she reminded us of:
- Have an image of the picture you want in your mind before taking it. Know what your focal point will be.
- If taking a Macro image of an Insect it should be large enough to fill two thirds of the image
- If your picture is about structure, form, and texture it is ideal to change to mono to emphasise the points above. (Architecture)
- Look at your image to see if you have a more dynamic ‘wow’ factor if you crop it.
- If you’re telling a story in your Image think about how you want the viewer to feel when looking at it.
- Don’t be greedy in an image less is often more.
We had twenty-one images held back, and Micki said the work was of a high standard. The winning and commended images were:-
First Place Daybreak on Bowfell by Chris Andrews
Second place St Aldhelms Chapel and Fireball by Paul Benham
Third Place Time for a Chat by Godfrey Clements
Highly Commended as follows:
- Kestrel Hunting – David Gibbs
- Young G.I – Steve Beckett
- To the Rescue – Chris Andrews
- Highland Cattle in Dartmoor – Caroline Petch
- Swirling Towers – Kes Ward
- Chalk Hill Blue – Brian Worley
- Reynard the Fox, hunting in the Reed Beds – David Gibbs
- Summer Days – Sam Knight
- Greggs it is Then – Steve Allsop
- Who needs Free Palestine – Steve Beckett
- Gallery Ceiling – John Timbrell
- Who needs six legs – Mike Ward
- In The Long Grass – Peter Carter
- Hoverfly on an Agapanthus Flower – Barry Coxon
Commended as follows:
- Dandelion Clock – John McMahon
- Best foot forward – Derek Green
- Made to measure – Jan Dell
Congratulations to the winners and all who had Commended and Highly Commended. You can see all the images below.
Thank you to Micki Aston and thank you to all who entered the competition.
Highly commended and commended images
Next week will be on Zoom, not in the hall
10th October 2023, 20:00 to 22:00 Guest Speaker – London Nights – Peter Benson
Please see the program for details